Sunday, October 28, 2007

Attaching Strings

The hard freeze came in this morning and finally ended the tomato season on Fairmount. I was starting to think that it would last through until November, but it's over. But nonetheless it was a beautiful day after the cold air warmed. Herb and I took a trek around the neighborhood looking for Halloween decor. There were some reasonably nice ideas exhibited by the Halloween lovers in the area, but none that beat the gi-mungus witch I saw last week. There were some areas with beautiful maple leaves and some areas where the ash trees have given up their clothes and stand naked.

I took this photo on Summit Avenue at House of Hope Presbyterian Church. There is a bush that seems undecided about changing colors and a stone angel standing sentinel. Or maybe it's Mary, mother of Jesus. Anyhow, it's Sunday and thus appropriate.


I spent about four hours restringing my recently purchased Wilson racket. I'm getting a little faster at it, but it is plain that I'll never make a living restringing rackets. It is satisfying, however, to be able to put new strings in my racket whenever I feel the urge. [Not very often.]

The 2007 World Serious is nearly over. The Red Sox won last night 10-5 to take a 3-0 lead in games. They are ahead again tonight, 4-1 in the eighth inning and may sweep the Rox 4-0. The curse of the Babe has likely been cured, it appears. It's just baseball.

Late note: Rox have closed to 4-3 in the 8th. Check the local fish wrap for the scores in the morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A burning bush and the Virgin Mary would be mixing testaments, I think, so I'm voting for an angel. Nice shot.

I've been looking for more Halloween photos as well, but haven't found anything better than what I've already put on the blog. You definitely found the most impressive one.