Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Ride on the Mendota Side

I had to wait for a guy to come and replace the windshield on my auto this morning, so my ride was in the heat of the day. The windshield was cracked by a stone kicked up on the freeway about a week ago on a day when my karma was on the wane. Today it was humid and I was not feeling too energetic, so I decided on a fairly short jaunt over the 35E bridge to Lilydale and down along the old railroad tracks to Mendota. I also wanted to see if the people who bought my old tennis club in Lilydale for condo development were still in business. I have been wishing them ill since they broke up the tennis community that had been there for many years. And there have been rumors. I rode around their parking lot and near their sales office and no one was there. It was about noon, so the rumor that they had fallen victim to the sub-prime mortgage crisis and subsequent crash in speculative condo buying, is perhaps true. They should have had sale creatures on duty. I breathed a silent cheer and rode on. The resistance from the club's former members may have hastened their demise.

Mendota is one of the oldest towns in the state and the Faribault House one of the few surviving structures from the early days. Mendota sits on the west side of the Mendota Bridge. Jean Baptiste Faribault built this stone house there, across the Minnesota River from Pike Island, in 1839. He was a fur trader and early settler of Minnesota.


The ride was about 14 miles and it was enough for a high dew point day. It included the gut busting Benhill hill, too.

The Tour d' France was exciting and a good day for a Columbian guy. I'm getting ready to make a prediction, possibly sometime before Paris.

The two recent earthquakes in northern Japan did not affect the English teacher employed near there, and she had enough audacity to accuse me of worry wart-hood for inquiring about her welfare via electronic mail. True enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting old brick house. The brick on the front is a different color than the side of the house. The original windows are gone, and those storm gutters aren't original. Is it a residence, or used for something else? It sure could use some yard art.

Anonymous said...

WE ARE VERY HAPPY TO HEAR THAT THE TEACHER IS FINE AND DANDY

Anonymous said...

Santini- The house is used for tours by tourists who want to see what it was like to live there in 1839. As you noted, the restoration was not completely pure. The rocks used in the construction were local, but I'm not sure why there are different colors on separate sides. -TT