Sunday, July 29, 2007

One from WWII

There was USTA mixed doubles at St Kate's at five p.m. It was in the high 80's, but not very humid. My partner, Carol, and I played against a Sylvia and a Mike. It was the first time that I'd played against this Sylvia, and probably any other Sylvia. I tried to be kind and also to compete adequately. It was pretty good tennis and used most of two water bottles before we finished, and we snatched victory from the jaws. Two hours of fun in the sun.

"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest." Paul Simon, "The Boxer."

A photo from the past. One of my favorites. It is me as a toddler with my grandpa, Richard W. Anderson. There is a shadow of the head of the photographer, and I take it to be Lillie. Grandpa was born October 9, 1877. This photo was taken in 1943 or 1944 at his farm near Webster, Wisconsin, the place they called "Dick's Ranch," but it wasn't a ranch. He was, likely, 65 or 66 when this picture was snapped, about a year older than I am today. He is carrying a cane, because of his arthritis, I think, and looks older than 65 to me. I was born a scant 5 days after his 65th birthday. He lived another twelve years after I was born.


He was born in Grantsburg, Wisconsin, and married my grandmother, Hansine, when he was 35, nearly twice her age. His dad and his older brother, Frank, were born in Sweden. He and Hansine had six children.

The bicycle tour of Paris ended today and a winner was named. It's hard to accept that the doping expulsions had no effect on the outcome. They should give yellow jerseys to the top three and work for a better and cleaner tour next year.

KS continues her visit in these parts and will be looking forward to more road trips. To track down the blueberries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hei -- It is a great photo. You'd sent it before, but somehow it didn't download properly. So now I have it in my 'old photos' file. It was a harder life a hundred years ago -- and his arthritis was a significant problem for him. He worked the land with horses, cleared forests with an axe. I suspect it wore him down some. See my blog for news on blues. SS

Anonymous said...

On the advice of the blueberry farmer's kids running the stand, I am planning to buy two ten pound boxes on Wednesday morning of this week. I figure I have blueberry obligations, too. SS