Thursday, July 26, 2007

Hottest Day of 2007, So Far

The last of the heat stroke inducing days is nearly done. It was 97 F. this afternoon in the Capitol City, according to Minnesota Weather Underground. After some rain, the temp has fallen to a pleasant 77 as I peck away here. KS and I had a walk around Como Lake in the heat to check out the shore line restorations and the rain gardens planted with native species. I learned the names of some plants and also learned that butterflies lay their eggs on milk weed plants. There was a lot of evidence of egg laying on Como's milk weeds. The walking paths around the lake were nearly empty today, a silent tribute to the heat index, and the TV weather creatures who keep us aware of its existence.

Below is pictured an icon of Como Park. Shown is a gate-like structure that is planted with flowers which, on Saturdays, when a lot of weddings occur, is the backdrop for photos of young ladies in white dresses and guys in tuxes. Who can argue with tradition like that?


We took in a movie at Rosedale to get through the heat of the day. We viewed "Harry Potter 5" or "Order of the Phoenix" I fell asleep during the most exciting part and was chided by the lass for my lack of attention. It was an exciting part, but only if you had read some of the books that form the basis for the filmed abbreviation. I had not. I should perhaps be given a pass, since I did buy several of J.K. Rowlings books over the ages - for other readers. [KS only caught me napping twice.]

I didn't watch the Tour d' Fr. today. My heart wasn't in it. My rooting interest against Rasmussen has lost its edge with the skinny Dane (alleged) doper going down the road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

say happy b-day to MM opps forgot