Thursday, July 12, 2007

Flutterbyes are Free

The wildlife I saw today consisted of ducks, squirrels, and some butterflies. I always thought they should be called flutterbyes beacause they flutter by. I was at Como park where they have a flower garden they call "Monarch Station" which is reputed to attract butterflies. And I took some photos of this monarch using the macro setting on the camera. This is the best of the lot.


This is another view of the Monarch Station. It's located very near the Conservatory and contains a great variety of fragrant and colorful flowers. A lot of them are now blooming. And issuing odors.


I'm sort of late with this writing tonight because of another USTA match. I played Super Seniors doubles at 98th Street Lifetime Fitness Club at 6:30 pm. Tom and I were beaten 6-2, 6-3 by a couple of pretty good players - Rick and Ralph, but I felt like we should have had a better result. To be a Super Senior, you must be 60 by the end of 2007. The other two matches went to third set tiebreakers and we had split results. Both tiebreakers were 10-8. There will be other matches, but it's always nicer to win than lose.

I also have a picture of a door on an outdoor rest room in Crosby Farm Park. The door is brown. I think that brown is a mixture of blue and orange pigments. But I could be wrong. SS will correct me, I hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blue and orange rarely make brown.

I don't consider all the milkweed growing on the dune to be weeds, because they attract butterflies. The funnel shaped flowers are supposed to be the key to a butterfly garden. So I have been told.

That is a lot of tennis again. It sounds like a very competitive group. Winning is always more fun, I suppose. Sounds like you did more than okay to me, though. SS

Anonymous said...

That is an extremely nice photo of the butterfly. SS