Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Days of Harry Potter

The Kagami Sensei is slogging through the latest iteration of Harry Potter. She's on page 225 (of 759) after spending much of this overly humid day perched as you see in the photo, in the backyard, under a tree, with a mint julip at hand.


I spent some of my time trying to get her green Bianchi ready to ride. I had to fetch it from the attic in the garage, where the temp must have been close to 130. Both of the tires were flat. That was to be expected after two years without a ride. I inflated both tires to 65 psi and they seemed to hold the air ok. I went inside for a moment to escape the mugginess and some ice tea. I heard a loud pop and a crash. The tube blew out after holding for about five minutes and the bike fell over. I don't have an explanation for the delay, nor for why it took so long to expel Rasmussen from the Tour, but I knew what to do. I took the green Bianchi to the bike shop where they sold me a tube and a new Michelin tire, installed. I pronounce the bike "road worthy." Ready to roll.

It was much too hot for a comfortable ride so we drove off to get Thai food at Pad Thai, near Macalester. As we entered, they explained that the air conditioning had failed. It was hot like Bangkok in the eatery. We ate there anyhow, in the mugginess, and enjoyed their cuisine as the sweat poured off us.

The Tour de France has seen better days than today. It was an exciting mountain climb, followed a few hours later by the exit of the wearer of the yellow jersey. I'll be reading Mr. Moohoo for more details.

Happy Birthday, Santini. Remember to hydrate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs to Kagami ... I am glad her travels are over, for now, and she has time to read and relax. Nikki is also reading, and we are also trying to keep the spoilers at bay. I'll have some stuff about my trip on my blog tomorrow. For now, it is good to be home. I assume KS feels the same.

Anonymous said...

And thank you for the birthday greetings! SS/3