Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tulips and Goldfinches

I had a pleasant walk around parts of Como Park that I don't usually blog about. It's getting close to summer and everything is getting green and pretty. I stopped by the butterfly garden to see what was blooming and encountered these fringed red tulips. The fringe is a feature that I haven't much noticed before, but adds an interesting twist to the image.  It's still early in the season for the other blossoms to be emerging, so the whole show is pretty much tulips.


There were also some goldfinches flying around. They're small, very yellow, and seem to stay on the wing most of the time, but I was able to catch one perched in a tree and got a reasonable photo with my telephoto lens. They are a chatty bird, doing a lot of singing and chirping to their friends.


This is Joyce Kilmer Fireplace in Como Park.   The city spent some time and money restoring it and it was just rededicated this spring.  It was built in the 1930's and I remember walking by it several times over the last few years and noting how run down it had become.  It's near Como Avenue and the soccer and baseball athletic fields.  There is still work to be done in the area, but the fireplace is ready for fires.


No tennis today for me but the tennis tournament at Roland Garros continues. Raffa Nadal had a tough five setter with American John Isner, but managed to win and move on to the next round.

1 comment:

Santini said...

I like the fringy tulips. Nice outdoor fireplace... I don't think I've ever seen it in 'real life'. Probably too unusual to be a blog theme.