Thursday, May 5, 2011

A bench older than me

I stumbled across this bench at Como Park (not literally). I hadn't really noticed it before, but I've been on the lookout for unique and historic benches in the last few months. This one had a plague which I have also pictured, dating it to 1933, about 78 years ago. It's a nice stone bench, backless, but in a nice shady spot not too far from the Conservatory.


The inscription,"Given by St Paul Ladies of G. A. R.,  National Encampment, 1933.  I assume that G.A.R. refers to Grand Army of the Republic, the Union side in the American Civil War.  The organization was composed of men who had served in the Civil War and it was dissolved in 1956 when the last survivor died.  They had a ladies' auxiliary.


It wasn't the nicest May day on record, but the flowers are beginning to show off, so our first day in the seventies cannot be far behind.  Can these be tulips?


No tennis today, but tomorrow is promised by the weather guessers to be the nicest day of the year thus far.  I may take a bike ride.  Or maybe not.   The Prairie Princess will be visiting for the weekend from her place of employment in southern Wisconsin.

Novak Djokovic won his 29th consecutive tennis match today, tying Ivan Lendl's record unbeaten streak at the beginning of the new year.  He is currently ranked number two in the world behind that Spanish guy.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

That's a great old stone bench.

Daffodils, I think.