Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Better sun

The sun came out and it looks like May will make an appearance. It gave me a chance to experiment with the new camera. I decided I'd like to find some wildlife to point and shoot at. Crosby Farm and Hidden Falls are still closed - high water. I drove by to verify the closed status and found it to be true. Thus Minnehaha Park seemed as good a place to find birds at least, if not a stray lion or unicorn.

The water has receded a bit, so it is now possible to get all the way to the merger of the creek with the Mississippi, but there is still a significant presence of mud. There are also a few temporary wetlands, as seen below, wetlands which will disappear later in the late arriving summer. The green grasses, probably sedges, are appearing near the creek and I think that I spotted some burdock. The stream in the background is Minnehaha Creek.


I found some small birds flitting about. There were also some geese, but they're easy to photograph and have appeared here enough as of late. This little guy hung around for several shots, partly because I was outside his zone of comfort. There were other birds around - no see'ums. I could hear their singing, but was unable to make visual contact.


Tomorrow is a tennis day, and it may be nice enough for some outside action. I hope so.

If it's warm enough we may have to change the chant to:

"Hurray, hurray the fourth of May, outdoor [name your previously indoor activity here] starts today."

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

That's a great chickadee (or whatever it is) shot. The bird and branch are in focus, but both the background and the foreground are blurred. Nice effect.

Jimi said...

Black capped chickadee is correct (I think). Black cap and throat, plus white cheeks, match the description and photos at several sites.