Thursday, December 31, 2009

End of the Aughts

The last day of the year and it's a typical Minnesota December Day. My freezer in the kitchen is warmer than it is outside. When I went for a brisk walk to the near beer store and later to Linwood Park, the temperature was ten. The freezer is probably about thirty.

The sidewalks are icy and otherwise iffy. I wanted to see what the tennis courts at Linwood looked like in the snow. The gates are locked, but the nets are still up. I played a lot of tennis on these courts this past summer, but they are unplayable now. And will be for several more months.



I guess I managed to stay outside for most of an hour on my two hikes. I passed the ice rink at Linwood on my journey. There were no skaters in evidence and the ice hadn't been shoveled recently either. Maybe it's too cold to be outside today for most, but I remember that in the bygone days on the Range we'd skate outside in twenty below weather, stopping now and then to visit the warming shack. It was doable then and still is. The rink is a serene view on this last day of 2009.



It's the eve of a new year and there will be some snacking and entertainment at Gino and BB's this evening. I guess it's time for some resolutions and a few "Best of"'s lists. Maybe tomorrow.

3 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Good job with the photos, the story and the time spent outside. I spent somewhere between 2 and 3 hours outside today, but it was warmer than my freezer outside. Upper 70's there for a while before the clouds moved in.

Tomorrow's blog theme is 'change' -- I am not sure I'll participate, depends on what comes along during the day.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Theo said...

hi this is logan nice pic. like the retied professor said. mom's at a new years thing right now so were (me and my sister and the close friend of the family)are with santini. got to go nice to comment agean and who ever see's this blog i wish you happy new years.

From,
Logan