Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Open Water

Here's a puzzle. It's been 14 straight days since the temperature would allow water to melt. On my hike through Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary today, I encountered open water. The water is in a pool below the cliff of Mound's Park on the east side of St Paul. I'm not sure how it has remained in liquid form, but the mallards who are still in town found the spot and were enjoying the day. There is a cave (Carver's Cave) under the cliff here and that may have something to do with the phenomenon. The high temp today soared to 14.



Christmas is soon upon us and I'm continuing my inclusion of pretty flowers from past seasons. These flowers among the lily pads were growing in the water at the Como Conservatory earlier this year. They have since gone into seclusion.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Moving water -- maybe a spring. People put bubblers next to their docks to keep the water from freezing and lifting their docks over the winter.

I am a fan of the pretty flowers. I might try to find some here. I assume you've found my Florida blog, since you left a comment. (Thanks.)

Retired Professor said...

14? For a high? Man, it gets cold where you live.