Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Second 96th Birthday

I'm up for some more old photos. It's going to snow a whole lot here in the next few days, at least according to the weather creatures. My archives are up to the task of redirecting my attention away from the unpleasantness.

This is an 80 year old (or so) photo taken on the old bridge on county road U (near the junction with FF) over the Yellow River in Wisconsin. The teen ager posing on the bridge is Lillie Anderson, whose 96th birthday is today. This was about 1929, before even I was born. I don't know the occasion for the photo, or really what year it was, but I've been to this location many times.



And this photo was taken in 1947, I'm pretty sure, because I know the people pictured. Along with Lillie are people who fairly regularly read this blog. For the benefit of others, the baby is Mr Moohoo, the tow headed girl is Santini, seated beside her is the blogger who likes to be known as GPT. I am standing behind the other four on the steps of the house at Dick's Ranch, the farm of Richard and Hansine Anderson, our grandpa and grandma. World War II was over and life was good again.


Happy birthday, Lillie.

The Christmas tree is up and decorated. Unky Herb, the Prairie Princess and I put up the environmentally sensitive lights, some ancient and well loved ornaments, including one containing a photo of our long gone dog, Tag. The decorating party was last night, and now we are ready to face the holidays. I even brought out the clapper from last year and it now can be used to turn on the lights with three sharp claps. Technology is amazing.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

There's a lot of charm in that photo. I love the expression on GZ's face, you were clearly up to something, GPT was annoying me from the looks of it, there were a lot of overalls and bare feet in evidence, and grown women wore dresses as daily wear. A world long gone.

Anonymous said...

SLO's and OSLO enjoyed looking at the pictures from decades past. Nikki is like her mother. She to wishes she could go back in time and meet the great grandparents and other family back then. Thanks for a break from winter to look into the past.

OSLO