Saturday, December 5, 2009

Almost Iced Over

It's been about 72 hours since the temperature has risen to the melting point of water. Como Lake is almost completely iced over now. Most of the lake is flat and solid and it reflects sunlight like high quality glass.


I walked around the lake this afternoon following my usual Saturday morning tennis skirmish. The geese and mallards that haven't fled south are bunched together. This is the far eastern side of the lake near the Black Bear Crossing Cafe. Some of these birds flew off while I circled the lake, presumably to find open water. I think most of the flock will soon be winging their way to warmer climes. I think they define the term "snow birds." It appears that their activities are the only reason that there is still open water on the lake. I think I can safely say that Como is iced over as of tonight. I'll check tomorrow for bird activity.



Tennis was competitive today at Wooddale. Jerry and I split sets with Tony and Bob in 90 minutes of play. Indoor tennis is different than playing outside, but it's nice to have the option of playing at all on a day that Lake Como froze over.

Unky Herb is due back tomorrow from his journey across Arizona. I hope to see some pictures of the big canyon.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Snow and ice. Now you're talking real winter. Are there thin ice signs up to protect the populace?

I almost/sort like winter, for a week or two. The change of scenery is interesting.