Thursday, December 17, 2009

Icicle Falls

Another 24 hours below freezing, but it has warmed up into the 20's, 24 , I think, today. In the early afternoon I decided to fulfill my latest empty pledge - to spend at least an hour outside everyday, if I can stand the cold. I discovered a new place, not too far from Hidden Falls in Crosby Farm (again today) just northwest of Crosby Lake. I have been by this area just once before, and that was during the fall when the stream that leads to the icicles was still in liquid form. Today the water had hardened and I ventured up the creek to see what was there. Water has trickled down from Shepard road and this tangle of icicles has formed. It looks a lot like Minnehaha Falls this time of year.



I also checked out the beaver lodges on Upper Lake, but found no recent beaver activity. I guess they are securely passing the winter in their lodge, eating shoots from the trees they have gnawed down and perhaps waiting for Christmas. Winter gives the area a whole different feel, both for humans, and, I assume, for the wild life.

The Mississippi is frozen over between Crosby Farm and Pike Island. It's a jangle of ice and, although it looks reasonably solid, I would never trust it to be solid enough to cross to the island - even when it's 20 below, which it most assuredly will be in the next six weeks a time or two.

I finally made it back to a tennis court. Jerry and I helped warm up the hard core girls for their USTA match tonight, which was scheduled for 8:30. We played a couple of sets of mixed doubles and a ten point tie breaker in our 90 minutes on the court. There were some good points and some mediocre, but it was nice to have my old tennis racket, Wilson, back in my hand.

I'm adding one more flower photo from the archives. This photo served as my computer wallpaper for several months this year. I think it was taken at the Como Conservatory. Probably.



Just four more days until the solstice and eight more days until Christmas.

1 comment:

Santini said...

That's a cold looking spot. Warmed UP to 24?

Spending an hour outside every day sounds challenging when wind chills drop below zero. Good luck.

Pretty color of blue.