Saturday, July 5, 2008

Tigers Return

This year's crop of tiger lilies have emerged from buds. They are later than last year by a couple of weeks, but still welcome. This fellow lives in my backyard, along with other assorted plants, including quite a number that PP guarantees to be native to this area.


I was committed to Saturday tennis, so I was unable to view the women's championship match from Wimbledon. Venus beat Serena and won her third Wimby title in four years (just as I predicted about a week and a half ago). I hear that it was a fairly serious match, and both were attempting to win. Later in the day they combined to win the women's doubles championship. Tomorrow morning is breakfast at Wimbledon wherein Nadal and Federer try to beat each other for the title that Roger owns. I still like the Spaniard.

My own tennis was pretty good. We had early morning courts at Sibley High School. The first set went to 7-5 and then the wind came up. We had six of the game's elder statesmen in attendance, so I also played most of a set of singles tennis. It was enough tennis for a windy Saturday in July and we scheduled another session for Monday evening and went home to check on Venus and Serena.

Herb and I are engaging in guerrilla gardening at Linwood Park. We have decided to water some of their (our) trees and see if we can get them through the current dry spell. Some of the smaller, recently planted trees are starting to wilt and appear to need some water. Since the city has no obvious plans to save the trees that they planted last year, it seems fitting that some citizens take action. Besides it gets me out of the house and to the park, where the prairie garden was planted last year.

I understand a bike race has broken out in France. Fancy that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice tiger lilies. In their own time, I guess.

There are no trees wilting here -- our weather pattern has been on the wet side, so root rot is more likely to be a problem with plants here.

You've been playing more singles this summer than has been your habit, it seems. Hard work for a summer evening.

Anonymous said...

BTW, more photos of your visiting PP would be nice. :-)
SS