Saturday, July 12, 2008

Gusty

The photo of the day is one of the prairie flowers planted by the Prairie Princess in my back yard (MBY). I think of it as a cone flower or perhaps a black-eyed susan. Perhaps someone will set me straight.


It was a strange day of tennis. It rained last night, and there was a fair chance that the courts would be puddled this morning at the appointed hour of competition, 8:30 am. I went to the courts early with my barn broom to sweep the courts and found Curt had beat me there by two hours, had swept both courts and was warming up with his cousin. Curt is a fine gentleman in my book.

There were eight players for the two courts at Marie. My tennis play was pretty good in warm-ups and the first set of doubles, but the second set went badly and by the third I was well south of the zone. I realized again that a decent breakfast and a cup of tea before the court action makes the day go easier. It also helps if the wind stays away. We finished the third set with a tie breaker and I was happy to get off the courts. The wind was beginning to blow in earnest by then.

Herb biked to Lake Phalen this afternoon to take in an Asian festival with some friends. He remarked that on the ride down wind to the park he felt very strong and was able to maintain a speed in the 24 mph territory, but his trip home was a more tortuous 9 mph going into the wind. It was a windy day.

The Prairie Princess called tonight and reports that a long weekend trip to the blueberry fields is unlikely to work with her schedule this summer, but we agreed to try to do the trek later in the year, after the environmental work finishes for the year. She is doing well and learning a lot about prairie plants and how to save the planet. She sends her regrets to the SLOs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your wind has arrived here this morning, in earnest. I don't play tennis, but a bit of fuel before an a.m. bike ride helps, a bit of caffeine is necessary. I will pass PP's message on to the SLO's. Visitors are welcome at any time of year, and there can be some nice days here in October.