Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mad Dogs

Another photo of a tiger lily in MBY. I'll try to get more variety in my pics later in the week, but it has been hot and after I watered the plants, it was tempting to try to catch the beaded water on the blooms. Voila.

It was 90 degrees when I ventured over to the University of Minnesota to play USTA Super Senior tennis. For a while we thought that we'd be playing inside Ryder Arena on the courts there, but we had some mix-up in schedules and we ended up playing on courts 15, 16, and 17 outside. That is one huge complex of tennis courts. I had the same partner as I had last week, Dean, and the result was slightly better than last week, but we fell 4-6, 3-6 to some other geezers. We had our chances but let them get away. There was a significant wind, but not so bad that it couldn't be handled, and heat and humidity. My car thermometer on the way home screamed 89.

I talked to the players on our team after the matches to see how old they are. I'm used to being one of the old guys when I'm smacking the tennis balls, but I thought I might be younger that some of the geezer looking guys on this team. It turns out that I was the senior guy on the courts by about 7 months. And the other 65 year old and I were playing the number one doubles match. So I shouldn't care too much about the result. It was nice to play, hit some decent shots and come out whole on the far side.

There was news that the price of a barrel of oil is down about ten bucks from the peak last week. I wonder if that will hold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job with the photo.

Number one doubles match? Also good job!

Be careful in this heat. We ARE the age group they are talking about that needs to be careful.