Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

A group of us went to the horse track to watch the ponies for the day. It has become a kind of tradition. We bet on the ponies, ate free hot dogs, watched a hot dog eating contest (Gus won again, but I think he cheated a bit), and witnessed the wiener dog race. I managed to lose about eight dollars for the day. The photo contains most of the usual suspects.



This horse cost me money. His name is City Boy and I bet money on him to win or place and he came in third. Herb liked his looks and some other members of the party considered him a pretty good risk. He's a pretty horse, but not quite fast enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Most of the usual suspects." It tends to float and shift a little every year, but it looks like attendance was good. They all looked like they were having a good time -- the essence of any tradition. Seeing the end of those British redcoats is worth celebrating, I say. Boo Brits.

Emily M said...

It looks like fun - sorry I missed out. Especially on the free dogs, and the look on the dog distributors face when my dad says "Dog Me."

Oh well, I'll make it next year.