Saturday, July 26, 2008

Out of town power

It was a very nice Minnesota July day. I got it off to a early start with some tennis in Eagan at Marie Park. The ever changing cast of characters consisted of six older gentlemen, so I was enlisted to play a set of singles against Bryce, our visiting tennis magnate. He runs tennis camps and plays tennis in North Carolina most of the year, but it's nice to have him show up in the summer and to try to win a set or two off him. I was game, but he had a little too much consistency and some youth (?) on me, so he got me again. I think that since he's been here, and in perhaps ten or twelve sets, I own precisely one, and that in a close tie breaker. Nonetheless, I like giving it a try when I get a chance.

After the singles we played a couple of sets of doubles, one in which Bryce was my partner, and one where I tried to beat him in doubles again. It was a good morning, but in some senses frustrating. On the other hand, it was great to be outside, smacking tennis balls and appreciating my great, good fortune to be there.

The Prairie Princess is home again this weekend and we've been having some fun. We took in the movie, "Wall-E" yesterday. A good animated feature, but it's no "Pulp Fiction." She and Herb are off to a going away party this evening somewhere in Minneapolis.

The big bike race in France seems to have decided on a winner. The probable winner is a Spaniard who has not yet tested positive for performance enhancing drugs - Carlos Sastre. I hope he's clean.

Blueberries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Singles is hard work.

I have some doubts about Sastre. As someone mentioned, when someone hands in a performance that is too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Anonymous said...

Blueberries. SS