Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Cool Water

It was windy today. Usually wind is not a big deterrent to tennis, but when it gets up to about 20 miles an hour, it radically affects almost all areas of the game. Overheads are an adventure. Lobs float long on one side of the net and hang up for easy smashes on the other side. Serving is full of suspense. I played mixed doubles tonight in the wind, on the top of a hill that is unshielded from the gusts. at Sibley High School. We split sets and I quit early to get away from the wind.

This is a photo from before I played while I was still feeling rambunctious.


We had some rain last night to freshen up the vegetation, but the Linwood trees are still parched, yearning for cool, clear water. Which reminds me of this song from my childhood:

"Don't you listen to him, Dan. He's a devil not a man and he spreads the burning sand with water; cool, clear water." "Cool Water" by Eddy Arnold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was Frankie Lane.

Cute pic --