Friday, July 18, 2008

Crosby Fen

It was a beautiful day, but also a rest day from the tennis wars. I decided to check out the native grass plantings at Crosby Farm down by the Mississippi. The areas that have the new plants are doing well and not so nearly browned out as the massive lawns that they mow each summer. They have put up some signs so that it is possible to determine the names of the native plants. Back in May, Herb and PP participated in plantings and it looks like the plants are thriving. While I was in the area, I hiked around one of the lakes (actually more of a bog (fen?)) - it may be Crosby Lake, I'm not sure - and took this picture to prove that I had been there. It was a nice walk, solitary and refreshing, and the biting insects were quite sparse yet this summer.



After a stop at the Farmer's market, I got home in time to catch PP's phone call from Glyndon. She decided that it is more fun in St Paul on the weekends than in the prairie, so she drove home to visit. She made dinner before she went off to visit her baby cousin. It's some tofu, veggies, and Mu Shu Hoisin sauce. I made a salad from my purchases earlier in the day at the Farmer's Market by St Luke's church on Summit. The veggies are plentiful now - tomatoes, cukes, green beans, potatoes, zukes, onions - all the standbys, and all grown locally with no pesticides. The tomatoes were superb.



The weekend promises to be a fine one weather wise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty walkway -- it looks a little boggy. There is a town called Fennville just south of here. I wonder if it is boggy.

Anonymous said...

Odd labels on your post.