Friday, June 13, 2008

Virtual Rainbow

The day was pretty nice until this afternoon, when it clouded up and then about six p.m it started to rain. It rained as I drove to my USTA tennis match inside at Wooddale. There was a very beautiful double rainbow in the sky as I drove east towards Woodbury, but the camera was at home. It was the very best rainbow that I've seen in a very long time. The pictures that I have today are not rainbows, but are pictures of Minnehaha Creek, upstream of the falls. I trekked over there to see how Minnehaha Falls was doing after our rainy spell of the last few days. It was roaring and a lot of folks were there to appreciate it. I have pictures, but they are very like some that I've posted over the last months, so I'm posting these photos of less seen areas of the creek. The first is a pool upstream of the falls where a couple of ducks were hanging out on a floating log with some kind of lilies in the foreground. Quite picturesque.


Then a little further down stream, towards the falls, I encountered some crane-like bird hanging around looking for dinner. It was a pretty spot, too.


The tennis match tonight was the fourth of the season for the 8.0 Mixed Doubles team. We have been winning for the most part, but lately I have been somewhat out of the zone, so I decided to try some different prematch strategy. Usually, if I have food before the match, I don't play so well, but if I don't eat, I get tired near the end of the match. Usually for early evening matches I have a cup of tea and gut it out. Tonight, I tried a Boost Smoothie, a energy drink, about 45 minutes before the match, hoping that it would be easily digestible and not interefere with my balance and timing. As it turned out, it didn't make much difference as our opponents were off their game and Barb and I won 6-2, 6-3, but my game was on the edge of tentative and I had very little touch. I guess that the Boost wasn't the answer to my absence from the much vaunted zone. The team match score was 3-0 to us.

That sure was a pretty rainbow on the way to Woodbury.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice wildlife shots, I like the first one best. I like photos of signs that say interesting things -- and that sign is pretty interesting. And the ducks are cool. Sorry to have missed the rainbow.

Have you tried a banana with your tea?