Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Politics Sets In

It was an interesting day yesterday, but I was too tired to blog. BC and TT went to the "X" to see Barack Obama speak after the polls closed in Montana. Several thousand other people had the same idea and a lot of them got to the site long before we arrived at 5:15 (for a 9 p.m. speech). We walked seven or eight blocks to find the end of the line, but instead found a place where the line branched and widened. We couldn't decide which way to go, and ended up in a scrum. The police were there, but no one was in charge. About 6:30 the line began to move and we were inside by 7:15. News reports say that about 15,000 people failed to get into the building. We had a seat in the second deck with a pretty good view of the candidate.



When Obama was introduced at about 9 p.m., there was a loud roar in the building. He's like a rock star to many people and seems on a crusade to take back the country. He's an inspiring speaker in person. He talked for about a half hour and staked his claim that he would be the Democrat's nominee for President. And I guess he will be. BC and I had some other people take a photo of us with a search light behind us.



This afternoon BC left for her prairie job with the Nature Conservancy in Glyndon. A few minutes ago, she called and reported that she has arrived in the crew house there. She begins another adventure. She left her Bianchi at home, so she may have to get a new moniker. I'll see what develops.

I spent a couple of hours at the Minnesota State Tennis Tournament at Nicollet Tennis Center yesterday. I met Jim Holden who wrote the currently available book, "Tennis in the Northland." I bought a couple of the books and had them autographed by the author. His book chronicles the Minnesota High School Tennis Champs from 1929 to 2003. As it turns out, I am familiar with quite a number of the people mentioned in the book, and there is a fairly lengthy piece about the Greenway High School Team of 1961. It's quite a hefty tome and I haven't been all the way through it yet, but Jim Holden seems to have done a good job on researching and being thorough. There is even mention of a blogger known as Santini in one of the later chapters sharing an opinion of one John Wirtanen.

I played some tennis tonight at Sibley Hugh School with the gang of geezers. I played average tennis, well short of the zone, but managed to win one of the two sets we finished. My calf injury seems to have healed pretty well, but I'm wearing an ankle brace on my right ankle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took my children to see a politican at a big arena once -- Nixon, I believe. I hope this guy has a better run than old Dick did. For all our sakes. Though I don't see many comparisons to former guys in the white house, other than Carter. Hope I'm wrong.

I wondered where BC would be residing during her time on the prairie. A crew house sounds like a practical answer. She seemed pretty excited about the prospect of working on this project. I've lived near there, so have a pretty good mental image of what it looks like. Mostly flat. Pretty good definition of a prairie. It should be a summer she'll remember.

Anonymous said...

Oh -- I forgot to mention the book. I hope you got a copy for me ... I'm surprised I got a mention, but it will be fun to read the parts about the year Greenway won the State High School Tennis Doubles Title. Fun. As the holder of the aforementioned title, you should autograph the book, too.

Gino said...

Most excellent witness to history moment. Congratulations on getting inside the building, apparently no mean feat in itself.