Thursday, June 26, 2008

Plant of the Day

The plant of the day is the red bell pepper plant that resides in a green pot in my backyard. I could have chosen milfoil, but I like this better. A member of the nightshade family, capsicum annuum, is edible and a native of North America.


I spent some time hiking around Lake Como this afternoon. It is badly overrun with milfoil. I have pictures, but they are uggglly. The park board has hired a company to come in and "harvest" the milfoil and truck it off to a landfill or maybe to become mulch. They were at work when I circled the lake. They have a home built vessel that reels in the weed on a treadmill like device and carries it to shore for transport elsewhere. The lake is overrun. It's kind of sad. But there is money to be made when bad times strike.

It was a bad day for Americans and American wannabes at Wimby. Andy Roddick, James Blake, Maria Sharapova, and Lindsey Davenport all lost their second round matches to people I have not heard of. And I follow tennis action more closely than most Americans, I suspect. Venus and Serena are still in it, but most of the American competitors are now spectators.

It was also a bad day for US investors. Dow Jones was down 358 points to 11453, the low point on the Dow for the year. And the price of oil finished at $139+, another record high.

But here in St Paul, I discovered a hoard of goat cheese in the fridge, left there by PP when she left to return to the Big Blue Stem Prairie up by Moorhead. Brunost. Brown cheese from Norway. Herb and I have been feasting on the pungent Norski treat.

I put in about 45 minutes on a tennis court on McKubin street here in St Paul, crushing forehands in the general direction of one of the other geezers - the one who purports to be 100% Swedish (a little too much, I think.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post. Nice looking pepper plant. I've never heard of milfoil. Maybe a photo is called for? Goat cheese is brown and pungent and tastes best while actually in Norway, eaten with hard boiled eggs, caviar and salami. Under a never setting sun.

Singles tennis again? Hard work on a sultry day.