Sunday, June 1, 2008

Grand Old Day

Grand Old Day is always the first Sunday in June. The city closes down Grand Avenue and they have a 10K race, a parade, and set up places to listen to music and drink a lot of beer. Today is the first Sunday in June and the street was packed from Fairview to Dale. BC and I went out to check out the parade this morning in the warm sunshine. I wanted to get some photos of politicians. Why? I don't really know. We walked nearly to Snelling Avenue - about a mile - to meet the parade. I liked this VW Art Car in the early part of the parade.



I waited for politicians to appear, but the only one who was out and about on Grand Avenue today was our U.S. Senator Norm Coleman. No Pawlenty. No Franken, No Ventura. But Norm is a reliable politician, glad to shake hands and have his picture taken. He's running for his own seat in November - the one once held by Paul Wellstone. You don't often hear boos at parades, but the were a smattering of catcalls when he appeared. He was a two time mayor of St Paul, but isn't all that popular as a Republican in this heavily Democratic city. He seems to be running pretty even with Al Franken at this early date in the process. Norm's the guy in the long white pants.



The grand Old Day festivities closed down at five pm, leaving only the drunkest and most belligerent revelers on the streets. I guess the business community on Grand likes the early June action, but it leaves a mess in the neighborhood.

No tennis today. I had a couple of hours of doubles yesterday and needed a day off. I played well early on, but I was on the losing end of an 8-0 streak near the time we were to quit. I credit my lack of "zone-hood" to fatigue, outdoor weather, and stellar play by some of my friendly geezer opponents. There will be other days when my play will be better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like the VW art car, too.
Politician in short sleeves -- the implied message is that he has nothing up his sleeves? An interesting shot. What is the guy walking next to him doing with that camera? Perhaps taking your picture?

It hasn't been that long since you were posting about being in the zone, so I assume you'll be back on stride soon. ~ SS