Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Some are flowers

There are a lot of plants like this in the parks and even growing in DavN's (Datter av Norge's) native garden plot. I think it may be goldenrod, and goldenrod has a reputation for being one of the prime causes of hay fever. Along with rag weed. There seems to be some people beginning to get the tell tale symptoms of pollen allergies. The tennis geezers and even Unky Herb seem to be reacting. I sort of like the flowers on this weed, but it takes its toll.


I'm in a tennis slump. Last night in USTA mixed doubles play, my partner and I lost to a pair that we probably should have beaten. There were a lot of errors and double faults that don't usually occur. We went down 6-3, 6-2. Luckily there was no money on the outcome and nobody got hurt. And even Novak Djokovic, the world's number one player, has a bad day once in a while. He lost on Sunday, for only the second time all year, this time to Andy Murray. I lost to a couple of people named Dan and Lisa.

The tomato plants are bearing fruit. It's a tomato salad everyday now until the first freeze. There are even enough fruit that I don't mind losing an occasional orange one to the squirrel vermin that live in the neighborhood.

1 comment:

Santini said...

JB is having allergy issues as well. Every open window causes him misery. Sadly.

The tomatoes sound good. We're losing new landscape plants to the deer herd, and purchased something called Liquid Fence on the advice of neighbors. It is supposed to be okay to use around edibles, but it reeks to high heaven. I don't think I'd want to eat a tomato that came anywhere near it.