Monday, August 8, 2011

Missing French pastry

Compared to Paris, not much is happening in St Paul. After two weeks of Brioche Swiss and Eclair Chocolate even food doesn't seem so tasty. But I'm getting back into a rhythm and back into a somewhat healthier eating style. No pastries. A nice sandwich from Subway. Some cherries and a banana. Normal food.

But I did take a walk down by the river to see if the water has receded. The bike path in Crosby Farm has been under water most of the summer, but in the two weeks or so that I've been absent, the water level has dropped and the park maintenance guys have cleared the bike path of the two inches or so of mud that the flood deposited there. Biking has been reestablished though that part of the farm. Probably tomorrow I'll have a look at Hidden Falls and see if that's back to normal, too.


My tennis schedule has also returned. I played three complete sets today for the first time since that Paris thing, and although I was on the winning side of just one of them, it seemed like I was getting my legs back, not my ankles yet, they're still sore, but the rest of the legs seem okay. We were helping Curt and his cousin, Bryce, get ready for the Bear Path Tournament starting Wednesday, so we tried to play well, but it was their day today. But it was two and a half hours in the 82 degree day and my conditioning was good enough to get through.

And, of course, today the stock market crashed again. Most of the tennis group has a rooting interest in the stocks represented in the Dow Jones average. We mostly just shook our heads and opined that it was probably best to just ignore the whole subject until sanity returns - if ever.

3 comments:

Santini said...

That bike path does look like it was recently under water. Still a pretty spot for a walk. I'm glad Mother Nature has returned it to you.

Daughter of Norway said...

Hmm...if the water was this high in July (no lie!), I wonder how bad the fall flooding might get...

I'd say get you money out of the stock market and buy some gold. It's what all the cool people do these days. I'll just watch it from here in my Norsk Nook.

Jimi said...

DofNorge: It's very nice to get a comment from you, even if I'm very unlikely to buy any gold. I guess I'm not one of the cool kids.

"Datter of Norge" seems to be the Norwegian for your new title. I'm working on a short version.