Thursday, July 28, 2011

Gardens

"Jardins" means gardens and there are plenty of them in Paris. I walked down the Seine towards the Jardin des Plantes this afternoon on a day that changed frequently from rain to bright sun. Along the Seine is a park "Musees de Sculpture in Plein Air" that features open air gardens and sculpture. The tourist boats were going by as I walked and as I enjoyed the varied modern sculpture. This was a favorite with the Seine behind it.


At the entrance to the Jardin des Plantes, there is an old sculpture, I think of its founder. Beyond are all sorts of plants from all over the world, including food crops like squash and rhubarb. There is also a small zoo on the site which I did not visit (I like the Como Zoo in St Paul). There were also a lot of blooming flowers brightening the afternoon.


It's a large often visited space in the middle of a large city.  The sun shone when I entered but by the time I reached the far side, the rain was falling again.  Who doesn't love Paris in the rain?


There is a small park across the Seine from Notre Dame Cathedral, Garden of St Julian the Poor is a pretty good translation. This photo of the flowers with the women behind them among the pigeons holds a surprise.  Some perhaps homeless guy is sleeping on the grass behind the ladies.  It was a nice day and who doesn't like a nap on the grass on a day like this?


We ate at a Japanese restaurant across the street from the park.  It was good food and about the right amount.  A good evening in Paris.

1 comment:

Emily M said...

The Jardin des Plantes is one of my favorite places in Paris, and also not usually full of tourists. The flowers are gorgeous and I have to say, having been to the zoo, you were wise to skip it.