Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Theme day requires a fountain

Theme day comes on the first of the month in this blog world. This month I find that the theme is fountains. I know where one is and I have multiple photos of it. It's in the sunken garden of the Marjorie McNeely Como Conservatory, which is also a good place to go on days when snow emergencies are called and the temperature is a little too brisk to spend much time trekking around outside. This photo is about a month or so old, but I think the fountain is still there. The sculpture, "Crest of the Wave," was created by Harriet Frishmuth (1880-1980) in 1925. She apparently spent some time studying with my favorite sculptor, Auguste Rodin (1840-1917).  At the expense of self referencing, I reported on my visit to the Auguste Rodin Museum in Paris in a blog entry in May of 2010.  Rodin was also fond of sculpting his subjects in the nude condition.


Outside in the city it was cold. The sun was out, but its warmth was hardly perceptible. For any readers in the warmer parts of the world, this is what the streets of the Saintly City looked like today. I had a walk around looking for the snow plows. They eventually came by my house and plowed the snow back into my freshely shoveled out sidewalk opening to the street - the dreaded "push back."


Apparently we just finished a January wherein the temperature climbed above freezing for just three hours all month. It's not a record, but also not a pleasant month.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Sneaky. There's a bench behind your fountain -- I almost missed it.

"Push back" is a good term, one I had not heard before. Cold and snow. Sounds like January on the tundra. At least you missed this last round -- it's a snow disaster in Michigan right now.