Saturday, February 12, 2011

A thaw in the Saintly City

My photographic slide scanning project is still going on. I'm using a photo that I took in 1987, almost 24 years ago, on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan as today's exhibit. The small children are mine and the large ones belong to Santini. Unky Herb was seven and the Prairie Princess, four. Tempus fugit.


My week of tennis finished this morning at Wooddale, the fourth day in a row on the courts. The combatants today were John, Jerry, Bob and I. We played almost to a standstill, each team winning about the same number of games over the nearly two sets. Some days on the court are like that. Every player seems to get into the competition and some of the points are almost magical. There were plenty of reflex saves and winners, plus good strategic plays and shots. Again it was a pleasure to play and to be able to run from side to side, and still be able execute an overhead or two. I think I'm about ready to play on clay in warm weather. It isn't likely to be warm enough here yet for a couple of months, but we had a nice long stretch today of thawing temperatures and it felt really nice.  Tomorrow is expected to be even warmer with a shot at a lofty temperature in the 40's.

3 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I love you, but I think is mean to post pictures of me from 24 years ago.

I'm glad you're having fun.

Jimi said...

R.P.: Sorry. I thought you might enjoy the memory and reflect on remembered glory. You did look pretty good.

Perhaps I'll concentrate on snowbanks, benches and mud puddles from now on. Or maybe not.

Santini said...

I'm joking, really. I showed the photo to John, who said something to the effect of what you said. It is a good thing to remember in the sunset years. A "Jenny Kissed Me" sort of thing. Time's a thief.