Thursday, February 10, 2011

It started at minus thirteen

It started out as one of the coldest days of the year. Thirteen below zero is cold. It did warm up enough by late morning so that I was able to rally myself to a little outside activity. It was actually reasonably pleasant in the sun by early afternoon, especially if one was wearing enough clothes and limited the amount of exposed skin. Since the Prairie Princess has been teaching skating outside in Minneapolis and I didn't want to be scorned as a wimp, I went to look at the skating surface at Linwood and a get a blog photo or two. The ice surface is clear and ready for willing skaters, but while I was there, no skaters were skating. This is as close to a self portrait as you're going to get today.


The rink is large enough for a bunch of skaters, and probably on nicer days there will be crowds. Today? Not so much.


Another view of the rink from a little further away. Still no skaters. I guess they were inside somewhere. Maybe at school, or maybe playing video games.


Thursday night tennis with Jerry and the hard core girls went pretty well.  We managed to play two complete sets and half of a third before giving up the court for a women's USTA match.  I played well enough, but it seemed to take a while to get warmed up, possibly because it was still only five degrees when I arrived at Wooddale.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Those photos make me realize how much of a wimp I am -- it rained here yesterday, and except for grocery shopping, I got no exercise at all. How could I? It was raining. And 65 degrees. (And I have a rain jacket here.)

Good on 'ya. Hard core.