Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Making the gods laugh

If you want to see the gods laugh, tell them your plans.

I made it to the land of summer in the winter, but not according to the original plan. There were two canceled flights and a bout with a winter cold. My planned tennis session with my high school coach had to be canceled, because of the cold and accompanying misery, but I'm pretty much okay again. I felt good enough to go to the Stone Crabs home stadium to watch the Tampa Bay Rays engage in spring training. Today it was mostly pitchers and catchers working on fielding bunts and throwing to the right base. I went with Santini, seen below at the ball park (on a bench), and we were able buy some pretty good tickets to the second Rays' spring training game on Monday against the Pirates, who train in Bradenton. It was a warm day in the eighties, a far cry from the day I left MSP just after the second snow storm of the century this winter. Pretty nice.


Back at Santini's resort, we were treated to a wild life sighting. A dolphin swam up by the dock and surfaced briefly and repeatedly. I managed to get the following photo from the shore before it disappeared across the lake, looking for its supper. This was the first dolphin sighting this year for the hostess, and the first lifetime by me in these waters. It was a cool sight to see the dolphin swim free in its native habitat.


We also had a two mile walk and a meal at the Greek Restaurant, Olympia, served by their homey, friendly waitresses. They serve a nice Greek salad.

It was 86 degrees today, the warmest of the year thus far, and the warmest in the country - according WINK news.

No comments: