Friday, February 4, 2011

January thaw comes in February

A warmer day produced a thaw in the city today. It was nice to see the liquid water in various places between the still tall walls of snow lining the streets.

I had a visit to the Como Conservatory this morning. They are having their winter flower show and it is one of the few places to find flowers in February this far north. There are pools of water and tropical trees in an atmosphere so moist you can smell it. There is a statue of a saint standing in the foliage near the edge of a pool near some cinnamon trees. I wonder which saint he is. I'll look for a sign next time I'm there and try to report back. [Ed.  St. Francis of Assisi.]


The flower show had a lot of pretty flowers, most of which have Latin names. I don't know even their English names, but they are very attractive especially after coming inside from the black and white landscape outside. These are pretty blue flowers.  [Ed.  Cineraria]



And a view of the sunken garden where the flower show is taking place. It's a familiar place and I've used photos from there many times before. I'm using one again.  Notice the Harriet Frishmuth sculpture at the far end of the reflecting pool.


Tennis broke out again this afternoon at Fort Snelling. I was somewhat off my timing today. The ball was not going where I wanted to go all the time, but at times where it went was a better spot than what I had planned. It was that kind of day on the courts, and I was happy to be able to hit the ball and actually run back and forth on the court without once falling down. Always a good thing when you're past 65.

2 comments:

Santini said...

I like the blue flowers. And I don't know what they're called either.

A little thawing gets rid of some of your snow, but the month of February is often cruel.

OSLO said...

Beautiful pictures. I agree with my mom. The blue flowers are gorgeous, but I also like all the green. The north needs spring!!!!!


OSLO