Monday, April 19, 2010

Snelling Lake in the Flood Plain

It was a bad day for my internet provider. Verrrrry sloooowwww response times, and uploading photos was a lesson in patience. So I'm publishing Tuesday morning.

I went to Fort Snelling State Park to hike, look for wild flowers, wildlife, and some exercise. I hiked around Snelling Lake, which is in the flood plain of the Minnesota River. I came up on a single, but quite large goose near the river and I was able to get pretty close to him. There are lots of geese on golf courses, but this guy was where he was supposed to be, in the wild.



And a view of some of the water near the edge of Snelling Lake. The white blossoms are the best of the flowering trees to be seen in the park right now. There are also some marsh marigolds in the wet spots, but I've posted photos of them lately. A pretty day and a nice walk, around the lake, and under the flight pattern for the international airport up the hill. The circumnavigation of Snelling Lake is three miles according to the park information sheet.

2 comments:

gfr said...

The waters have receded, I see.

Geese and airplanes don't mix very well.

Really pretty tree.

BDE said...

Great photo of the goose.