Saturday, April 3, 2010

Blue Flowers Down by the River

This early in the spring it is always gratifying to find flowers blooming outside. Except for the crocuses, these are the first outsiders that I've seen. I don't think that they are native, but they are blue and plentiful. There are also some white flowers mixed in for contrast. I found them in Crosby Farm Park, planted in a flower bed in the middle of the turnaround point very near the path that leads to Upper Lake, the home of the beaver lodge.



This is a closer look at them. I'd like to know what variety of flower they are. Blue somethings, maybe?


I was in Crosby Farm Park early this afternoon after returning from indoor tennis at Wooddale. When I was last in the park it was very difficult to get to Upper Lake because the Mississippi River had flooded the area. It was better today, but there was still water over some of the paths and mud on some, too. But there were quite a few people out to explore the area on a pretty nice April weekend. I don't think I've ever seen this many folk in the area, to be honest, but after a long winter it's nice to get out into nature again. There were even some people on bikes riding through the puddles and braving the mud. None of the bikes had the skinny tires favored by bike racers, just fat tires and curious riders.

PP and I installed a new bike computer on her Bianchi yesterday and today. I mostly did trouble-shooting when the display failed to get data from the wheel sensors, but in the end we succeeded and she set the display data to zeroes and went off on her bike, good Will hunting.

Happy Easter.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Possibly agapanthus, from the darker blue stripe down the middle of it.

Sounds like a nice day for a walk by the river.

Jimi said...

Good call. After careful use of google images, it seems very likely agapanthus, a non-native to Minnesota. Wiki reports that it is native to South Africa. Nice of them to share. TT