Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Snow Angel

There was a fresh layer of snow on the ground and the temperature rose above 20 degrees (21, I think). The sky was blue-ish tinged with cloud. I had no tennis to attend to and I went out for a walk at Lake Como. Como is 1.6 miles around and normally is easy to get around without frost bite. Today was harder, but it was a pretty day. After getting most of the way around without a photo, I decided to go out onto the lake to see if there were photo angles previously unused. About 20 yards from shore, I encountered the nicest snow angel that I've seen in moons. Someone had created it and went on to walk out further on the ice, perhaps to do some ice fishing.


The pretty sky and the expanse of blue sky cried out for a photo. I'm not sure this does it justice, but it is taken from the ice surface and represents February in the tundra. There were tracks on the ice, a skier, and a group of people engaged in ice fishing while I was there, but not necessarily visible in the photo..



I'm not sure that I would ever fish through the ice on Como, and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't eat any fish caught here, but other people have other ideas. The fishing group had at least one ice auger and seemed to be enjoying the day. After all, it is February and the ice is solid enough to support vehicles, so why not do a little sport fishing for some of those Como carp.



On another note, I encountered two bikers as I strolled the lake. One was riding a bike with very wide tires and seemed to be confident, even on a path that had plenty of ice patches. The other guy was on a more normal bike toiling up a hill on Lexington - a stretch of road that I won't ride even in the summer. Some guys are just more hard core than others. I'm more of a tennis bum, I guess.

2 comments:

Santini said...

You make winter look almost pleasant. Somehow that doesn't jibe with my memory, but the pictures are sure pretty. I'll bet you had your 'real' camera with you, not the point-and-shoot one?

Tennis T. said...

GFR: I used my point and shoot Minolta Dimage G600 digital camera. I sometimes also use iPhoto to improve my shot making. TT