Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Powder

It's not January any more, but February is looking like more of the same. We were blessed with about two and a half inches of what in Utah is known as powder. We know it as more white stuff to shovel. At least it was a little warmer and the sun came out to cast a few shadows. My Tuesday tennis was canceled because of a lack of players, so I took a long walk in the neighborhood. It included a walk on Summit Avenue, past the Guv's mansion and the law school near Victoria. Across the street from T. Paw's current headquarters stands this urban art object, carved from a departed elm tree a few years ago. The owners of the home behind it decided to add some levity to the statement and dressed the wooden lady in a purple sweater. And then last night it snowed on the statue.



While I stood next to "Elma" I took a photo across Summit. That's the Governor's mansion for the great state of Minnesota. Since the political parties of Minnesota are having precinct caucuses tonight to begin the process to choose the next inhabitant of this house, I guess the photo is fitting. I feel a little guilty about skipping the caucuses, but they aren't much fun for me, and I'm not sure I fit with any of the current crop of political philosophies. So I'm sitting this one out.

The rest of the walk was pretty non-eventful. The sidewalks are still mostly unshoveled, but the citizens will get to it soon, I'm convinced. There is not likely to be a snow emergency to plow the streets. This new snow actually improves the quality of the road surfaces by filling in the ruts and smoothing out the bumps.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Elma? Now, that's funny.

I understand your sense of irrelevance regarding the political process. I don't fit anywhere, either. I don't feel guilty about it so much as I do sad.

February is a short month.

Improving the quality of the streets by filling in the ruts?

Gino said...

Isn't that the Irvine Mansion?