Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The February sun makes an appearance

As you can see by the photo, winter is still with us. But the sun came out and some of the snow started to melt, even though the temperature only reached 24 degrees. The blue sky was elating and I was able to walk around outside a couple of hours without freezing to death. The February sun is beginning to feel like a real heat engine. The snow emergency in the Capitol City was successful, in that they plowed the streets - east-west and north-south - and, as a bonus, they filled in the sidewalk entry to the street with a generous helping of compacted dirty snow from the street, which I removed later in the day. It's part of my exercise program, apparently. I took a picture of my neighbors windblown garage roof and the pleasant blue behind it.



And the top of my own garage - again featuring the snow and the weather vane against the deep blue sky.



On my walking tour of the immediate area, I passed two tennis parks, one with two courts and one with four. Both areas were locked and chained and the surface was covered with a couple of feet of snow.

Not very much is happening this week. We haven't had as much snow as Washington D.C., but we've had enough to cause a yearning for summer.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Snow is pretty - in pictures. It still looks very cold. The February sun is starting to show some power, but the arctic air is in charge for a good bit longer, I think.