Thursday, July 16, 2009

Black-eyed Susans

These normally wild flowers are growing in PP's native plant garden in MBY. The day was a little windy for closeup photos, but I took it anyhow. It's the season for yellow flowers, I'd guess.



I played some tennis this morning. A friend of Curt's from Arkansas was in town and wanted some competition. Tennis Dennis and I unofficially, of course, represented Minnesota, and Curt and Boyd were the Arkansas team. We played three sets of wind hindered tennis, with some strange shots and enough mis-hits to make a grown man wince. After a slow start, TD and I (TT) managed to get the feel of the wind and posted a win for the North. Carpetbaggers bow. There was some talk about making this an annual match, but we'll have to see if Boyd comes back. It's always fun to play even on marginal days, and this was pretty marginal. I guess I must love the game.

The weather seems to be taking a turn for fall-like. The weather creatures are saying that tomorrow's high temperature will be about 65 degrees. This cold weather is much like the weather in Hibbing during the last TRAM that I rode. Wednesday morning in early August when some of the people who did ride left for the open road the temperature was 32 degrees. We won't see a freeze here tomorrow, but I'll be wearing long pants again.

2 comments:

santini said...

Long pants is my choice for the day here, too. I remember that Wednesday morning at Giants Ridge when it was soooo cold.

Your tennis sounds like fun, but I'm guessing the carpetbagger will not return. Just a guess.

The black-eyed Susans are pretty. One of my favorites.

Gino said...

Coasting down the hill through the mist leaving Giants Ridge that day I noticed a dusty build up on the brown work gloves I was wearing for warmth. A closer examination revealed that what looked like "dust" was actually FROST.