Thursday, July 23, 2009

Alberto Contador Weighs 140 Pounds

And he leads the TdF by 4 minutes and 11 seconds. Plus, he won today's time trial by 3 seconds. Wikipedia says that he's 5 foot 9 and a half inches, essentially my height, but the scrawny Spaniard is 20 pounds lighter than I am. He's obviously not scrawny, more like a coiled cable. And he's about to win his second Tour. After such an inspiration, I took a bike ride down by Crosby Farm, past the Ford dam (the first photo), over the Ford Bridge (where the second photo was taken), over the Lake Street Bridge and home on Summit Avenue. Last night's tennis was rained out, so I needed some exercise. It was my first ride in a while, about 16 miles, but it was a nice warm day and, although not as strong as Alberto or Gino, I felt pretty good.



Pictured below is a river boat going upstream towards the Lake Street bridge from the middle of the Ford bridge.



After my nap, I went to examine the new tennis court at Linwood. The fence is completed now, but the new tennis nets are an embarrassment. They sag badly in the middle. I looked closely and found that instead of a cable attachment to the poles, with a proper adjustment crank, the nets have been duct taped to the poles. Duct taped to the poles!! The proper authorities need to be called to see if this is their final answer. The courts are not playable in this condition by any self respecting tennis player. Grumble. Grumble.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

"although not as strong as Alberto or Gino, I felt pretty good." Ummm.....

Some really nice photos. It looks like a nice ride, and a nice warm and sunny summer day.

I still am not a fan of Contador. Yesterday's ITT smelled fishy.