Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Wood Tick Wonderland

The day after Memorial Day was cloudy and cool. The crowds at the various places of remembering were gone, and I had decided to visit a place I remember pretty well, but one that doesn't exist in the way it used to exist fifty years ago. I took a drive in the country. To Wisconsin.

This is a view of Dick's Ranch from the far side of the County U bridge over the Yellow River (not far from the junction of FF and U). Richard Anderson owned this land until he died in 1954, 55 years ago. The land is now controlled by the Burnett County Historical Society to commemorate an old trading post that existed there in 1803 - 206 years ago. It's named Fort Folle Avoine, which translates roughly to Fort Wild Rice. I used to do some fishing off this bridge as a lad.



The farm buildings have disintegrated over the years and not much is left to indicate that Richard and his large family actually lived here for at least 40 years. In contrast, the trading post was burned down after a single season in business - 1803. The silo foundation which stood next to the old barn is still visible, and probably a hazard to hikers. Plants are growing out of it.



Richard's spouse, Hansine, had a flower garden that was created by filling the center of an old tractor tire with dirt and planting flowers in it. The tire was still in place, but the flowers have been replaced with forest plants. It was located somewhere between the house and the barn.



I came across an old washing nachine that was still lying in the yard. I think it belonged to the Anderson family, but can't really swear to the fact. It's a really old style washing machine, as you can see. It's been there a long time.


I walked along the driveway, past the foundation of the house and the farm sheds. The pump is still standing, too, but not pictured here. The Historical Society has a nature walk in the "woods" that used to be the farmyard. They have signs that identify various interesting trees as one walks along the trail. One stands next to the large oak tree by where the house used to be and identifies it as a white oak. I think it may have been planted by Richard 75 to 100 years ago. I know it was there when I played in the yard as a child. I guess it's a wild tree again.

This is the old driveway to the farmyard. There used to be a garden on the left side of the drive, and maybe on the right side, too. The culvert for drainage under the drive is still in place and seems functional.


The trees have grown a lot. New trees have appeared. There are still a lot of woodticks on the grounds. Four of them came home with me and met their doom soon after I discovered their existence.

3 comments:

santini said...

Ah, the junction of FF and U. I remember it well.

There's more left to determine the outline of the farm than I thought. You found a fitting way to spend the day after Memorial Day.

Gino said...

Nice, very nice.

I recall that one translation of the fort's name is "Crazy Barley".

santini said...

I believe that the website says that it means "crazy oats." Eventually to be known as wild rice.

Richard Anderson died on my tenth birthday, so it is a little less than 55 years, but not (sigh) much.