Friday, May 15, 2009

When is Lilac Time in Your Town?

The lilacs came out today. They have been working on gaining flowerhood for a few days, but they are pushing out their unique fragrance in earnest now. Today was the first day. These lilacs are in my own backyard. The bush is actually in my neighbor's backyard, but it generously overflows into my space, and I appreciate that fact. I think that in other parts of the country the lilacs flower at different times. Maybe the lilacs in other parts of the Capitol City aren't flowering now, but in my neighborhood the fragrance of lilacs is all around. [My blog history shows a lilac photo on May 10, 2007 - the day I took it.]



I was busy during the sunny part of the day, mowing and watering and checking out my new plants - tomatoes included. It rained tonight, so it's wet and not conducive to outdoors activities. And the weekend is expected to be coolish.

I managed to get in a couple of sets of tennis at Fort Snelling. The after effects of my activities of the last couple of days got to me by the second set, and I found myself with more than my usual share of mis-hits. The tennis was still good enough and close enough to be entertaining, a key measurement of contentment. It was the last scheduled indoor session at Fort Snelling, and we were the only foursome in sight when we left the building at 2:45. Tomorrow we go outside to Marie Park and the vagaries of wind and sun. Let the summer tennis season begin.

1 comment:

santini said...

Lovely lilacs, I remember them well. They seem to come in three colors here -- the traditional lilac color, a darker purple and white. I think that it is the fragrance that makes them so unique -- it's better than pie.