Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Shadow Knows

I was shutout on theme day yesterday. I had no reasonable shot of a shadow by the time I knew it was the theme. Today was nice enough to generate real shadows, so, after my tennis match, I went in search of something that might be usable. This bird was standing in Lake Como as I arrived, and was friendly enough to stay until I snapped the shutter, but very briefly after that he flew off, taking his shadow with him. Is it a crane or an egret of some kind? Only the Shadow knows? The park was extraordinarily busy today, because it was easily the nicest weekend day in a moon or two.


I had three plus sets of tennis to play this morning. My tennis prowess is suffering from too much play, and I feel like I could take a day off. That is likely to be Monday. Tomorrow is one of the last indoor sessions for the year at Fort Snelling. The weather outside is just too nice to waste playing inside. And I'd like to get some miles on my bike so that the Prairie Princess doesn't sneer at my mileage and my gear selection for climbing Benhill.

3 comments:

gfr said...

Oooh, that's a really nice shot. I think it is an egret, but my Florida bird book is in Florida.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful photo!
BB

Anonymous said...

That's a great blue heron. A gorgeous, impressive birds and a nice photo.