Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Greener and Greener

I thought about taking a bike ride. I thought better of it after consulting a couple of weather sites. As it turns out, it might have gone okay. It was windy and threatening rain. And, as predicted, it later rained and the wind increased in exuberance.

Alternate plans were called for. The rabbits in my yard looked to be a threat to my newly planted tomato plants. "Marigolds are the answer," I thought. Highland Nursery has a large selection of various colors of marigolds and now, after a strategic purchase, my tomatoes are protected by a few yellow flowers. It may be a puny plan, but it's my puny plan.

Then I went to look at the big river, down at Harriet Island. The city of St Paul seems to be spending quite a bit of money improving the river banks under its control. I hope the money is federal stimulus money, but I suspect its coming from the increase in property tax levies that are an annual treat in the Capital City. The improvements include a new set of picnic areas in the area where the Jonathon Padelford riverboat is moored when not carrying tourists up and down the river. It's an old style showboat with musicians and other entertainment.


I noticed these lines painted on the side of the ticket office for the Jonathon Padelford. They show why Harriet Island is a park, used for entertainment events, rather than being a residential island. In 1965 and again in 2001 the majority of the island was under water. The Mississippi takes what it wants when it wants it, and it's best to stay out of its way.


I walked along the river for about an hour, enjoying the forest vegetation as it gets greener and greener. Spring is here and is here to stay. I need to tell PP that there is a lot of buckthorn in the area that should be chainsawed to the ground. And I know she can do it.

2 comments:

santini said...

You've planted tomatoes already? I've bought a few tomato and pepper plants -- planning to plant a small recession garden, but they are still sitting in my garage. Good luck with the marigolds.

din soster said...

BTW - I remember the 1965 flood quite well.