Sunday, May 3, 2009

Another Day for the Birds

Another bird photo. This is from Como Lake, too, and may be the same kind of bird as yesterday - an egret perhaps. As usual, he spooked as I tried to get close enough for a satisfying shot, and he flew off across the lake. I took the photo anyhow, and it seems to be a reasonably good action shot. There is even a mallard sitting on the lake surface. I'll probably go back to photographing flowers and river bank scenes. They don't spook so easily.



It was a beautiful weekend day in Minnesota. I spent some time doing spring yard cleanup. PP's native plantings needed some water, and there was also still some remnants of last year's growth standing around, and so I removed some of it. Then I went off for 90 minutes of tennis at the Fort Snelling bubble. It still seems to be a shame to play inside on a day when the thermometer in my auto reached 70 degrees, but we paid for the time and so we played. As usual, there were good points and bad, but the second of the two sets was the most competitive and we ran out of time at 6-6. It was fine because I was running out of steam and ready to take a day or two off.

Herb took his bike to Mississippi Market this afternoon to grocery up. He carries most of the goods in a backpack, so he made two trips. It's not very efficient in some ways, but he used no gas, and managed to get in a few more miles on the bike.

3 comments:

santini said...

That curved neck while flying is a characteristic of the great blue heron, too. The great white egret is also known as the great white heron -- so I think you have identified it correctly. (Wikipedia is my source.) Sounds like a nice weekend in MN.

Gino said...

Any bicycle use for actual transportation is heartily endorsed.

Anonymous said...

Your identification is correct--that's an egret.