Monday, April 27, 2009

Two Guvs

It was a kind of brisk day although it did rally to get into the 60's. The Prairie Princess had the day off from her government job, so she organized two of her co-workers to take a bike trip. She decided they would take the Cannon Falls trail from Cannon Falls to Red Wing and back. I suggested that it was way too long for this early in the season, and possibly too chilly. She reminded me that she is 26 and hardcore. So she borrowed my sun glasses and off she went.

I had lunch with some old Cray friends and then went to the state capitol to check out the work ethic of our state leaders, who are currently in session. I watched some debates and voting on amendments in the House chambers. There was a tie vote on one of the amendments having to do with state funding of abortions. That was exciting, but the Speaker broke the tie and and they went on to other details. I had seen enough and went looking for the portraits of my favorite governors. Every governor since statehood has had his portrait painted and hung in the capitol. I have heard that they are now out of room and don't have a place for T. Paw, our current head honcho. He's got another year and a half before this term ends, so they may figure out a place to hang him.

This is Jesse Ventura's portrait, filling the last available spot. He seems to have his hand on a statue of Rodin's Thinker. Jesse liked to think of himself as the thinker. I remember him as The Body.

And Rudy Perpich, the Iron Range guv. He's the only one the former guvs who insisted that his wife be included in the portrait. He maintained that Lola was a big part of his success as a politician and governor.


So the Princess came home tonight. She and the other two women did the 40 miles to Red Wing and back, stopping along the way to photograph wild flowers. She claimed that she did not feel tired and the weather was plenty warm enough along the way. I think she should take her chain saw along the next time she takes the Cannon Trail and wipe out some buck thorn on the way.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, are we to assume that these two photos represent your favorite governors? Hmmm. We should talk.
BB

Tennis T. said...

Hi, BB. They are my favorites in a colorful sort of way. Besides, what are the other options. T. Paw? Harold LeVander? It's a small population of small state politicians. But we could talk. I may need re-educating. TT

Anonymous said...

Ok, I see your point. They ARE maybe the best of what we have to choose from. At least they were not boring.
And they are not mad dogs (like Arnie Carlson).

Gino said...

Jesse looks good.

Minnesota's greatest governor was Floyd B. Olson.

Followed by perhaps Harold Stassen.

Tennis T. said...

Gino: You may be right, but they predate me by a lot, and I wasn't able to admire their wit, wisdom, and foibles in real time. And they probably never wore a boa into a wrestling ring. TT

Santini said...

That isn't the mental image I have of Jesse, but he does look good, no question. Colorful seems to be a common theme for MN politicians. How else do you explain your probable new senator?

Tennis Tousan said...

I can't explain Al Franken. He swooped in one night and took over the Democratic Party in Minnesota. So it goes. TT