Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day

It was Earth Day today, and a beautiful day, to boot. I decided to check out Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary and see what the prairie restorers have done lately. The trees are still pretty bare, but there is no doubt that the burn crews have been out to burn the old grass on the resurging prairie. Where they burned, the grass is green and lush. The sanctuary is next to the railroad yards and affords a nice view of downtown Saintly City. The view under this big old tree was too nice to pass up.



I found lots of birds. A couple of geese were hanging around Carver's Cave when I arrived so I took their picture. They were pretty tame and remained on their perch while I walked to the end of the park where the fence between the park and the railroad yard ends. On the other side of the fence there was evidence of someone living in the railroad yard. They left their very orange blanket on the ground for the day.



Later this afternoon, I played some outdoor tennis with the usual guys. It was about 60 degrees and a very light wind at Marie Park. We played a couple of sets and worked on getting used to the wind and the sun - necessary evils when you're outside.

1 comment:

gfr said...

"Necessary evils of sun and wind" -- the world of outdoor athletes. Just think of the vitamin D you're getting. Both of your photos are great -- I especially like the one of the cave, with the geese. But I like the composition of the city framed by the arch of the tree. Rule of thirds, and all.