Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Confluence

Finally. A clear sky and a temperature in the mid 60's. There was a slight problem with wind velocity (gusts in the 40mph range), so I didn't get on the bike, but I went in search of a place to hike out of the wind. I haven't circumnavigated Pike Island in a while, and it is at river level, below the bluffs, so I expected that the wind would be nullified somewhat. It was a nice walk in the woods, pretty solitary. I saw six other people on the island, slightly fewer than the herd of eight deer who stopped to stare at me. They were all does or very young males, I think. I captured their image without them bolting. I walked on and they continued grazing.



The hike took about two hours, because I parked at the top of the hill by Fort Snelling and walked down the steep hill to the park and island level. At the down river tip of the island, the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers merge to form Delta Airlines (oops, typo) rather, the greater Mississippi River. I self-photo-ed at the joining point. The two rivers are coming together behind me, like two large airlines.



Tennis last night. Three good sets, with the gang of geezers, 6-2, 6-1, 7-5, the first two much closer than the score.

There has been no recent contact with the Pster. She is likely somewhere near the Taj Mahal. I'm watching for the email announcing her flight back to the North. She is unlikely to get here before the snow is completely gone, but she is likely to beat the lilacs to the backyard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Entertaining post. Nice photo of the deer, too. Much better self portrait this time. We're holding our breath til KS gets home. We're supposed to get your windy weather here today. It may impact biking. SS