Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Biking Breaks Out

Having a day off from tennis, I decided to get in my first day of biking in April. I pumped up my tires and the tires of KS's Bianchi and set off. Once around the block convinced me that my odometer/speedometer was set wrong (and that I needed another layer of clothes). I found the directions for the computer and punched in the right tire size, grabbed a jacket and set off to see if I could meet my April mileage goal (get into double figures). The photo is at the far end of my ride, at the St Paul Cathedral and takes in the long view of the Minnesota Capitol, where the legislature is in session. " No man nor his money are safe while the legislature is in session." Some Wise Fellow. I have another day to up my mileage to something more respectable, too.



It is flat tire season in Minnesota. KS took her bike to go over to Macalester to help burn the prairie grass there. She had been gone for ten minutes when she called from the Sinclair station on Grand and Hamline with bad news. The recently reinflated rear tire had gone flat and she was late for the burning. I drove over to rescue her and the Bianchi and get her to the fires. The rear tire was indeed flat. Very flat. She had to arrive at the burning in a Toyota rather than on her more greenish bicycle, but otherwise all appears well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WooHa! Good biking story -- around the block false start and all. Nice shot of the center of politics, too. I have had pretty good luck with the puncture resistant tires, though there is no perfect solution other than to do what Gino does -- carry a flat tire kit and learn to change a tire. (I'm a cell phone, call for help person myself. As long as there is someone to answer the phone, it works.) Double digit mileage is good.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a great photo.
BB