Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Victoria Water Platters

It was hot enough to require a quart of Powerade and a water bottle of cool, clear water to finish our appointed tennis sets this afternoon. The temperature was in the high eighties, but the dew point remained about 55, so there was redemption for serve and volley doubles. My partner was Jerry from my mixed doubles team, and he and I played well enough to win one of the two sets we played. We played a premature tie breaker at 5-5, at my request, because I was starting to get knackered. It was nearly six and we'd been in the sun for 2 plus hours. We finished at 6-5 and declined an offer to join in the survivor set, the set reserved for the truly hardcore.

Later in the evening, I had a walk in Como Park again. It's a good place to get photos, and it's really pretty near dusk. There is a water display of lily pads and other water plants in the area just outside the Conservatory, very near the butterfly garden. The most dramatic of the lily pads are the Victoria Water Platters. They are like no Minnesota grown water plants.



And I got caught in a downpour on the way back to my auto. It cooled the night down enough to allow a night of good sleeping.

1 comment:

santini said...

Impressive lily pads!

I hope your lower dew points are headed this way.